BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 8, 2008

A Little Poetry

Last week was my last meeting with the Poetic Altoids. It was a sad moment, but at least I was comforted by the fact that we now have a Poetic Altoids blog. I invite you all to take a look at http://curiouslypoetic.blogspot.com/. It has a fun compilation of poetry written and submitted by my poetically minded friends and me. Hopefully I'll be able to continue contributing while I'm out of the country.

And now, in honor of the Poetic Altoids, here are some poems I wrote for our last meeting:

(This first poem is actually a 2-part poem. Special thanks to Diane for inspiring me to write it.)

Part 1: Overloaded

Blank
Clear
Cramped
Tired
Yawn
What?
Oh
Right
Poetry
Night
Silver
Bells
Christmas
Smells
Good
Cheer
New
Year
Finals
Done
Lots of
Fun
No more
School
Holidays
Rule!

Part 2: Still

I
feel
my
sanity
trickling
down
drop
by
drop
drip
drip
drip
d
r
i
p
p
i
n
g
down
to
the
land
of
forgotten
facts
years
of
cramming
crunched
and
crammed
right
out
of
my
mind

And finally, this last poem has nothing to do with Maya Angelou. I've never read anything by her. I just had the title of her book, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings in my head, and so I decided to write a poem about it.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

I know why the caged bird sings
It hopes and dreams of many things
The birdseed on the window sill
The meadowlark with yellow bill
A birdbath made for chirping play
In sunlight on a summer day
Yes, I know why the caged bird sings
For even caged birds still have dreams

7 comments:

janel said...

Nice work, Kim. Those are great. If only you had a poetry class now...they could contribute to your "studying for finals"...

Linda said...

I loved your poetry...a fun variety of thoughts, styles... Next semester you'll have a lot of new material to write about! Can't wait to see you. --Mom

kris said...

I like your poetry. Where are you going out of the country??

Hez said...

Ooooooh! I likey! How come I didn't know about your secret poet identity? The last bit of poetry I heard that you wrote was "if women ran the army" :)

Danielle said...

I think you've always had a nice poetic knack. Maybe it all started with "hewetick, webbel..."

Suzy said...

wow what a POET. I'm gonna go jump in a MOAT. (ha that can't even hold a candle with yours!!...)

Becca said...

nice, and i think I've found a solution to any dating problems you've had--you can marry robert frost!