BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Only at BYU

I've always believed that BYU wards were a little pushy when it comes to marriage and dating.

I suspected it when my bishop asked about the history of my love life in my first interview, within a week of moving in to the ward.

I became more convinced when my bishop scheduled the whole 2-hour block after sacrament meeting to talk about dating and courtship. We discussed the dos and don'ts of physical relationships, things to look for in a potential spouse, and different levels of dating. (In case any of you are wondering, I'm at level 1. And I have been for a while.)

But last Sunday was the real clincher. If there was any doubt in my mind, it was settled by the sacrament meeting talks. Here's what happened:

The first speaker got up and told how the previous Sunday one of the counselors had asked him to speak in church.

The topic? Finding the One

In disbelief he asked the counselor if that was really his topic. The counselor assured him that it was, in fact, the assigned topic.

The speaker came to sacrament meeting the following week with his talk all prepared. There was another speaker sitting on the stand as well. As they waited for the meeting to start, he couldn't resist asking her what she was speaking on.

Her topic?

I Am the One

6 comments:

Linda said...

Next week, perhaps the Sacrament Meeting topic might be, "Where's my one?" --Mom

janel said...

Just be glad someone's training the boys in the ward, so the girls don't have to do all the work yourselves! (What about 1 Ne.16:2?)

Danielle said...

Ha ha Mom! That's also funny that you say you're at level 1. I think the pushiness comes right from the top- remember that CES fireside Elder Oaks gave about hanging out?

kris said...

oh I love it. Good old BYU. That made me mad when I was there- even when I was engaged.

Becca said...

you've got to be joking! at least you are allowed to sit girl-girl in your sacrament meeting! remember monticello: mandatory boy-girl-boy-girl seating in church?
(ps-how would that work in relief society?)

Spencer said...

Kim, that is crazy! I got a good laugh out of it though.

It reminded me of one of the counselors in one of my BYU wards a number of years ago who asked couples to give the opening and closing prayers in sacrament for about a month. Then one Sunday, in bishopric meeting, he asked the rest of us, in essence: "OK, now I've established a pattern of couples giving the prayers, who should I set up and ask to give the prayers in sacrament today?" I don't remember who he chose, but I know that he was really trying to hook people up. It is so true...only at BYU. And people wonder why dating can be stressful....

Also, I love the addition to your blog background. It looks yummy!